When it comes to presidential elections, national party conventions are kind of a big deal.
It's not only when candidates officially transition to nominees, but when parties rally around a common message and members gear up for elections across the country.
So, it's a little disconcerting that so many Democrats are skipping this year's party convention in Charlotte (which runs Sept. 3-6).
Here's a list so far of who isn't making it:
- Missouri Sen. Clair McCaskill
- West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin
- West Virginia Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin
- West Virginia Congressman Nick Rahall
- Montana Sen. Jon Tester
- Pennsylvania Congressman Mark Critz
- New York Congresswoman Kathy Hochul
- New York Congressman Bill Owens
- Utah Congressman Jim Matheson
- North Carolina Congressman Mike McIntyre
Some of these politicians are running in their own tight elections and can't afford the time away from the campaign trail, but it seems that a lot represent conservative constituents and are trying to distance themselves from President Obama.
|< Prev||Next >|